Friday 7 September 2007

Iona

My journey began with a beautiful week on the tiny Isle of Iona off the western coast of Scotland. I spent the week with people from Britain, Australia, the Czech Republic, Germany, the United States, Canada, and other parts of the world. We shared meals, music, journeys, stories, and the beautiful experience of this peaceful place. I came away knowing that we - from different faith traditions, different backgrounds, different cultures - can become deeply united by a simple meal, a common prayer, and the power of song. We went to a beach called the Bay at the Back of the Ocean and were asked to pick up a stone to represent something which we would like to take away with us. My stone is meant to represent the strong hope for peace among all people because as I have seen at Iona, when we pause long enough to meet the person behind the culture, the ideology, the group, we can truly begin to love one another.

Deep peace of the Running Wave to you.
Deep peace of the Flowing Air to you.
Deep peace of the Quiet Earth to you.
Deep peace of the Shining Stars to you.
Deep peace of the Son of Peace to you.


(A Celtic Peace Prayer)

2 comments:

Technology Fundraising for the Classroom said...

I am glad to hear that you are having a wonderful time Sarah. I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures in the Spring. By the way, the Celtic Prayer, just made my day....love and peace.

Jen said...

Oh I am so happy for you. That sounds like an amazing experience...and you are just getting started!!! :-)